Job Posting Title
Construction Specialist Safety Practitioner
As directed by the CDM Compliance Manager, lead the provision of Health and Safety Management support at Devonport and its associated supply chain, ensuring compliance with relevant legislation and guidance and site health & safety policies/ procedures/standards.
In conjunction with the CDM Compliance Manager assist in the planning, delivery, monitoring and evaluation of the performance of the team with the aim of enhancing delivery of measurable performance while demonstrating a duty of care to staff in the working environment.
Provide support to the teams providing specific specialist knowledge and advice to allow them to support their specific assigned areas of responsibility.
To carry out, and report on, scheduled and unscheduled Active Monitoring checks and inspections to ensure compliance with health & safety policies/procedures/standards.
Principal Tasks and Responsibilities:
Principal tasks and responsibilities are:
- To proactively support in the implementation key elements of the Site Safety plan and to proactively manage and reduce construction health and safety risk.
- Assist the CDM Compliance Manager in co-ordinating project construction safety implementation.
- Implementation of the Company CDM and Safety, Quality and Environmental policies in the HS&E area of the business ensuring that assessment of risks is carried out which lead to safe working attitudes and practices.
Compile and or review CDM core documentation, including the following:
- Construction Phase Plan compilation and updating where the Principal Contractor is the client. In the case where an external Principal Contractor is appointed the role will be to review, and comment and ensure update occurs.
- Undertake construction project workplace inspections to: identify hazards, determine ways of reducing risks, ensure adherence to risk assessment and best practice. Feedback this information to the project teams and the business by defined routes for action and closure.
- Participate in the site audit program including the management of corrective and preventive actions.
- Provide active monitoring - by both scheduled and unscheduled health checks and inspections to ensure compliance with health & safety policies/processes/standards.
- From time to time in relation to projects carry out Investigation of accidents, incidents and cases of ill health to identify root cause and ensure suitable and sufficient corrective and preventative action is captured in line with management system process.
- Undertake reviews of Contractor HS&E documentation and advise Project Management on its suitability and alignment with site project requirements.
- Represent department as required at committees / meetings providing relevant input and maximising shared learning opportunities.
- Liaise where required with the MOD Safety team in relation to safe working practices for construction projects
- Develop and deliver Health and Safety Improvement Projects.
- Keep up to date with current health and safety legislation and best practice.
Minimum HNC or Equivalent in a relevant discipline.
Construction NEBOSH Cert or BSC Diploma, and courses in specific high risk activities
Examples of Membership include: The Institute of Occupational Safety & Health (CMIOSH), ROSPA, Construction Group memberships, affiliations to engineering groups such as ICE.
Desirable: Scaffold Inspection, Confined Spaces, Asbestos Awareness training qualification. If these are not already achieved must be working towards
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.