Sitec a Belcan Company are looking for a Civil Engineering Lead (Principal / Senior Engineer) to work for our client in Devonport Dockyard, Plymouth. This is a Contract role with an estimated duration of 12 months.
The purpose of the Civil Engineering Lead post is:
To manage the delivery of civil engineering work packages to the required scope, quality, schedule and cost.
Responsible for managing the technical aspects of the Civil Engineering packages from identification of the need, through to handover.
The Civil Engineering Lead post operates as part of the Strategic Infrastructure Business Unit.
Principal Tasks and Responsibilities
Develop, lead and manage one or more technical design packages agreeing project related objectives, managing designer performance and making appropriate technical management responses. Provide Subject Matter Expert advice as per discipline.
Ensure that the design documentation covers the scope of operations required by the Project Manager and is produced to agreed standards, schedule and budget.
Ensure that the processes and activities being managed are appropriately documented with appropriate records maintained and configuration and quality controls applied.
Ensure that staff and contractors are familiar with the hazards and risks associated with the work undertaken by the delegated engineering team through effective management and communication of the Risk Assessment.
For the principal tasks and responsibilities identified in Section 4 to be carried out and discharged effectively, there are a number of limited responsibilities of other groups or persons that must also be discharged. Principal amongst these are:
Other Engineering Leads (within 14 Dock team) - to ensure that system delivery of the Civil Engineering packages interface with the other discipline packages to resolve conflicts / clashes
Operations & Integration Lead - communication of operational capabilities for systems to ensure that the overall operational concept meets the high level capability requirements of the Facility
Safety Engineers - to communicate design specification enabling justification and fulfilment of any associated Safety Functional Requirements (SFRs)
Project / Package Manager - to communicate on project deliverables to scope, schedule and cost. Raise any technical issues that may have an effect on overall project delivery
User Acceptance Group (UAG) - demonstration that the designed systems will meet the functional User Requirements
Design Authority (DA) - advise on technical governance aspects of deliverables to ensure that quality is of required standard.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements
A degree in an appropriate engineering discipline.
Chartered Engineer, registered with Engineering Council.
Nuclear: Nuclear Introductory Course or equivalent nuclear and/or marine system knowledge.
Skills will include
- Design and substantiation of heavy civil engineering and building structures to relevant seismic codes for satisfying Nuclear Safety Functions; particular experience in dock structures preferred;
- Knowledge of architectural design of industrial buildings;
- Knowledge of building services design and installation
- Knowledge of construction techniques employed for Nuclear Safety related structures and buildings.
- The post holder must be able to demonstrate relevant knowledge and skills required in the technical management of complex design development throughout the design lifecycle
- Provide expert advice to the sub-contracted design houses to enable them to develop the design.
- Sound understanding of engineering design and safety practice as relevant to discipline, post and project requirements
- Sound project specification, planning, project management and budgeting experience
- Sound understanding of Company and departmental procedures relating to Design, Health & Safety and Quality requirements, and ability to manage projects in accordance with these procedures.
- Experience of the design support to construction, operation, refit/repair of conventional and nuclear submarines and/or facilities
This vacancy is being advertised by Belcan