Sitec has a requirement for an Automation Technician our client Perkins Engines. This is a temporary role for an estimated 12 months and will be based in Peterborough. The hourly rate will be between £23.00 to £30.00 p/hr LTD Company
The Automation and Information Management team is part of Facilities Engineering within GED - UK which supports Global Engine Development (GED). The Automation Team is responsible for installing, licensing, administering, developing, adapting and maintaining automated test software and other associated applications for the whole of GED consisting of over 40 test cells with differing testing requirements.
First and foremost, the Automation Technician is responsible for his/her safety and the safety of co-workers and consequently must strive to ensure a safe, clean, professional work environment by completing required safety training within required timeframes, establishing safety goals, participating in monthly safety & housekeeping inspections, and demonstrating through attitude and actions that nothing is more important than safety!
Reporting directly to the Automation Team Leader, the individual will complete proposed changes or additions to systems, programs, or infrastructure components including hardware, software, or network. Assist more experienced team members in infrastructure or system development and support team in developing solutions to customer related requests and/or systems problems.
Customers may include internal Caterpillar organizations, suppliers and users of Caterpillar product. Responsibilities of the incumbents are along functional lines with individual Engineers assigned new program development and/or maintenance of existing systems, PC's, Data Acquisition software, measurement instruments and any tailored bespoke software.
* Specifies, sources, builds test cell PC based systems
* Monitoring of OEE metrics, highlighting any concerns to Automation Engineers to be able to tackle root causes of reoccurring lost time and drive quantity of breakdowns down
* Continue to increase velocity of breakdown resolution improving uptime of test cells
* When required, installation, license management and maintenance of internal and external supplied/design software (e.g CANape, CAT ET, Perkins EST, Morphee, Test Launcher etc)
* Support to daily Operations meeting as well as part of the call-out rota for out of hours support
* Process and flow chart creation for standard working practices that are in remit (LWI's, COP's etc)
* Under direction of more senior team members, assists in the development or integration of major system & software modules and programs
* Prepare test cell data acquisition software for engine installations and test work
* Attend to Automation Breakdowns quickly and efficiently giving excellent closing comments within the work order system
* Knowledgeable of current operating environment, logic diagrams, testing, debugging and documentation
* Specifies information flows, processes and procedures, data objects and dialogues between information systems and their users
* All team members must manage their own development; continuously learning through training & experience and staying abreast of technology. The individual should look to increase his/her technical expertise and responsibility, striving for the next level of seniority, in this case Automation Engineer.
REQUIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
This job role requires a relevant degree with up to 12 months relevant experience, or non-degree educated with 1-3 Years relevant experience. The incumbent should be knowledgeable of current technology including one or more of the following: programming languages, computing hardware and software environments, system integration processes, system administration processes and tools, and current development processes and tools. In addition, the incumbent should have a developing knowledge of Caterpillar policies and procedures and a general knowledge of the Caterpillar organization.
REQUIRED TALENTS / SKILLS / KNOWLEDGE
* Self-starter (initiative and sense of urgency in work)
* Excellent planning and organizing skills
* Good people / interpersonal skills
* Excellent analytical (data analysis and data extraction) skills
* Ability to learn quickly and retain pertinent information
* Ability to concisely and accurately communicate technical information
* Ability to work independently and as a team member
* Good PC Administration skills
* Good knowledge of PC hardware & software and of LAN & wireless networks
* Computer application skills to support job requirements (Email, MS Excel, MS Word, etc.)
* Demonstrated experience with automated industrial test equipment used within a development or production environment
* Maintenance of equipment, fault finding/diagnosis & breakdown expertise
* Demonstrated knowledge and use of test cell data acquisition software & systems (e.g Morphee)
* Working knowledge of software tools, packages and facilities such as CANape, RS232/485, MCD3 etc
HIGHLY DESIRED TALENTS / SKILLS / KNOWLEDGE
* Demonstrated software programming skills (VB.net, C, C++, Java etc)
* Automated Test Equipment maintenance & commissioning
* Engine testing experience
* Basic knowledge of high speed data capture systems (D2t Osiris)
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.