Sitec have an exciting opportunity for an Advanced Research Engineer - Composites to work for our client based in Bristol on an estimated 6 month contract with an option to extend for a further 6 months.
Our client is looking for a strong composite research engineer to join their process development team at a critical time, as they undertake new and continuous composite projects work for a vital customer.
They are looking for a customer-focused engineer who can work with challenging customers to distil from them a statement of requirements, and plan out activities showing due consideration of quality, cost and time. Technically, this person will be able to deliver a forming and/or infusion strategy for a complex part, practically deliver the infusion along with other team members to the high standard required, before documenting the process and delivering a report back to the customer.
Hands-on technical ability is crucial, along with the behavioural competencies to work closely with customers and communicate project needs to team members. An academic background is likely, though they value industrial experience highly, particularly in aerospace and/or wind energy. You will need a high level of knowledge of composites manufacturing processes, ideally with a real-world practical application.
Key relationships of the Advanced Research Engineer - Composites:
- Reports into, collaborates with and acts as a technical advisor to ECL
- Advises ECL and ECM on technical strategy/ road-mapping
- Advises/influences S&BD
- Represents and advocates for client at technical forums
- Engages with Academia
To solve and appraise technical engineering tasks in line with project requirements. This will be in a range of complex and non-complex contexts and encompass the following responsibilities:
- To understand customer needs, prepare plans and deliver solutions to solve a range of composite engineering challenges to support project/customer requirements
- Provide technical or specialist knowledge (specifically Resin Transfer Moulding, Forming, Infusion and other composite manufacturing methods etc.) and guidance to customers and stakeholders
- Work with customers and internal stakeholders as needed, including programmes team/project managers, Research Engineering, Process Development capability lead, Research Engineers and Technicians
MAIN ACTIVITIES of the Advanced Research Engineer - Composites:
* Identify the need for a literature survey to be completed. You will review and assess completed surveys to provide technical direction utilising your advanced knowledge of client and industry best practice.
* Analyse and assess how the client engineering capability can be developed by strategically aligning technology development to the short and medium term technology roadmaps.
* Solve a range of complex and non-routine tasks to support project requirements by analysing and comparing mathematical and scientific theory and by assessing practical tasks.
* You will provide technical or specialist knowledge and guidance to RE's.
* Review and justify innovative approaches to direct and appraise technical solutions in a range of complex and non-routine contexts. You have substantial technical autonomy in your specialist area. This level of innovation is evolutionary and may include a new concept to replace the primary function of an existing process or capability and is medium-high risk.
* Review and appraise technical documents. Construct project proposals by integrating multi-disciplined technical activities for the statement of work.
* Ensure the appropriate capture and dissemination of technical information to internal and external customers to strengthen customer relationships.
* Build and develop collaborative working opportunities internally and externally at a national level. You will have a technical network and foster an environment that emphasises knowledge sharing and multi-disciplined and/or cross-functional participation.
* You will expand your sphere of influence to better position the clients technical capability to create new collaborative opportunities.
* Provide advice and direction on the types of technical collaboration to pursue that will be of benefit to the client.
Please note that the client has determined that the off-payroll working rules will apply to this assignment and we can only consider candidates on a PAYE or Umbrella basis.
This vacancy is being advertised by Sitec.